Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Postcard from London #12

Gday All

Just thought I'd drop a quick line to keep you up to date with exciting
things from this side of the world. Firstly, I found out on Friday that I
actually managed to pass the exam I thought I hadn't done very well in.
Considering the pass mark was 70%, I'm pretty happy with that!

Also, after having been so excited to see Duran Duran, Holly managed to
score me a free standing room ticket to the final show of the tour on
Saturday night which was amazing. I was able to get reasonably close to the
front and had a wonderful view. The show was just as good as the first time
I saw them and so I'm totally stoked.

We went to the Anzac Day service at Westminster Abbey as I'd said we were
going to. The service itself wasn't the most exciting thing I've been to
here but the Abbey was pretty spectacular. The highlight for me though was
getting to meet Geoff Gallop after the service. He had been travelling
around with some Perth schoolkids who'd won a competition and he read a poem
at the service. As he was walking out of the gates after the service I
figured I may as well go up and say gday to him so I did. He saw I was
wearing a Freo Dockers shirt and came over. We had a brief chat about the
footy (he was disappointed the Weagles had lost to Carlton the previous day
and I told him that Freo had beaten Geelong that morning) and about how long
we'll be here for and what we're doing. It was quite a buzz for me as I have
a lot of respect for him.

On Wednesday Katie and I caught the train down to Bath for the day. We went
on the tour of the Roman Baths there. It was amazing to think that we were
walking through a place that was built hundreds of years ago when the Roman
civilisation was still a power. We also crossed over the town bridge which
is one of only a few in Europe that have shops on either side. I've attached
a few photos of Katie and I in Bath - one at the Roman Bath, one of me with
the town behind me, and one of Katie at the front of a shop on the bridge.
The shops are really narrow and you can see straight through the back window
to the river. The day was wet and rainy, but that was ok.. we're kinda used
to that.

I never got around to going down to preseason footy training so decided not
to play this season. Instead I've taken up umpiring and am now officially a
white maggot. I've umpired a few short games but no full length ones yet. It
is a lot harder than it looks but I'm getting the hang of it. It was a
beautiful sunny day yesterday so it was great to be running around an oval.
When I got home Holly and Scoob had bought sun lounges and were out in the
backyard finally getting some rays. Hopefully my liquid paper legs won't be
quite so white by the time we arrive back in Perth. But then again, it will
be winter so no one will notice anyway. I'll have to wear shorts around just
to make a point.

Well, that's about all the news I think you can handle for now so it's time
for me to sign off. Of course, I can't let yet another derby win by Freo go
uncommented on. That's 3 out of the last 4 to Freo now.. go you good thing!!

To those who have sent me emails.. cheers. Sorry to those that I am slow to
reply to (especially Jess and Leanne).

Take care all
Love
Dave

PS. Please let me know if you don't want to receive these updates from me
and I'll take you off the list.

No comments: