Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Postcard from London #4

G'day All

Well, losing the World Cup yesterday was rather disappointing but we still
had a great day. We turned up to the Walkabout Pub in Temple over an hour
before kickoff only to find a massive queue. We queued for a while in the
rain until we realised it was a lockout and we'd have to find somewhere else
to watch the game. Of course, many others also had to find an alternative
venue so there was this crazy sight of groups of people running up and down
streets in the rain trying to find an unfull pub showing the game. We
stumbled across a pub called the Porterhouse only to find that people were
only allowed in by prior booking. Fortunately the doorman was very nice and
took pity on us and let us in. Our group consisted of Katie, Murray, Matt
King, Scoob (Pete Southwell), Tanya Southwell, Holly and I. Apart from out
little group, there was only one other Aussie in the pub. Don't worry
though, we made enough noise to even things out. I must say, I did receive
some funny looks when I came out with a very loud 'You little ripper' when
Elton kicked the equalising penalty goal shortly before full time. The extra
time was thrilling and I was very proud of our boys even though we lost. I
reckon they showed the true Aussie spirit by doing so well against all the
odds. The poms we shared the pub with were fairly gracious in victory and
one guy made a point of shaking all of our hands. I'm quite thankful that
the Cup is now over as I'll finally be able to have a sleep in on a Saturday
morning.

There really isn't a lot more to tell as life has quickly settled into a bit
of a routine. We currently have a couple of dossers living with us and I'm
not sure how long they're gonna be here. The weather has finally turned and
it has rained almost constantly since Friday night (tis now Sunday night). I
rocked along to our local church this morning only to find that I'd got the
time wrong. I thought it started at 10.30 but it actually started at 9.45. I
wondered why I was getting some funny looks when I walked in and sat down.
It's a very old fashioned church... organ music, hymn books and a
congregation with only one other person under about 70 years of age. Still,
may give it another go (at the correct time!!) to see how it is. There's not
really many churches within walking distance of our flat so my choices are
somewhat limited. I don't really fancy having to catch the tube to church on
a Sunday morning but will see how it goes.

Pete and Ali, could you make sure you give Holly and my love to Charlotte
and Polly.. we both miss them very much! I'm saving some of my coins to send
over so that they can see what money from another country looks like (well,
at least Charlotte as I suppose Polly wouldn't really get the whole money
concept yet).

Thanks for all the emails from home.. they are gratefully received. Sorry if
I take time to reply but my internet access is still limited. We are
intending to get the net at home but it is taking longer than expected. We
finally get a phone line on Wednesday which will be good. I may even get my
act together and manage to call people!! I'll try to remember the number for
people who want it but I am terrible at such things. I still can't remember
my current mobile number and have to keep asking Reg (Murray) to tell me
what it is.

Well, all take care and I'll send another update in a while.

Love, peace and respect,
Dave

No comments: