Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Postcard from London #9

Gday all

Well, I'm sitting here inside on a Sunday morning while it's snowing
outside. I went out for a jog last night and as I turned for home it started
snowing lightly. It's quite a fun experience to jog in the snow so I'll have
to do it again sometime. It only snowed for a short while last night and
started up again this morning.

Hmmm.. things to tell.. Well, Holly and I decided to get out of London last
weekend and headed off down to Cornwall from Friday until Sunday. We hired a
car and drove which was great as we got to see a lot of the English
countryside which really is beautiful, especially with the daffodils
sprouting everywhere. They grow like weeds over here and are just lovely. We
decided to detour through Slough so that we could see the roundabout that
features at the beginning of The Office. We managed to find it and then
managed to get quite lost. Trying to get back onto the M4 took us quite a
while but we eventually made it and continued out journey. We stayed at a
B&B in a town called Newquay which is supposed to be Britain's best surfing
beach. I'll put some pics onto the pic site for people to have a look at. It
is a very picturesque town and would be brilliant in summer. Unfortunately
we managed to pick a weekend that was exceptionally cold; even the locals
kept telling us that they couldn't believe how cold it was. We had tea at a
Thai restaurant on the Friday night which was quite nice and then went to a
restaurant called The Riv on the Saturday night where the food was
exceptional.

On Saturday arvo we went to see the Eden Project (www.edenproject.com) which
is awesome. There are two huge biomes which have distinct environments. One
is humid and tropical and the other is more temperate..
Australian/Mediterranean. It was like the movie Biodome with Pauly Shore so
I had to at least attempt to do the Safety Dance. I took about 250 pictures
over the whole weekend so obviously I'll have to go through and cull them
before putting them on the picture site. All in all it was a wonderful
weekend and we'll definitely be going back when the weather's a bit warmer.

Holly, Katie, Murray and I went and saw the Counting Crows on Friday night
which was a great concert. Holly and I saw them in Perth and they certainly
didn't disappoint over here. The next concert we've got tickets for is the
John Butler Trio at the end of March.

Teaching is still going fine. The kids can be pretty trying at times but at
least it pays well. I'm doing my first financial planning unit over here and
once that's completed will be able to start trying to get an entry level job
in the financial services industry.

I'm attaching a couple of pics of our house and street so that people can
get the idea of where we live.

Well that's all from me for now.

Take care all
Dave

No comments: