Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Postcard from London #17

Gday All

Thought I'd just drop a line to let you know that all seems to be
going well with my new job over here. I've been working at Shell now
for 3 weeks and am presently enjoying it. I still haven't really had
much training which is a little bit of a worry considering I have a
payroll to run this week but I'm sure it will all go fine. My boss is
pretty nice and supportive which is great considering the ordeal I
went through with the boss from Hell that I had before leaving Perth.
And yes.. the lunches are very nice. On Friday I had goat's cheese and
spinach pizza followed by spotted dick and custard. All very yummy but
it does leave one a little lethargic in the arvo. I finally got a
computer and desk to sit at on Friday. Up until then I'd been floating
from desk to desk depending on who was away each day. I've attached a
picture of the view from my window. The building with the green roof
is the Royal Festival Hall and the bridge is Waterloo Bridge.
Obviously the river is the Thames which may or may not be named after
the TV production company.

Last weekend was a long weekend and the annual Notting Hill Carnival
was on which was fantastic. I've also attached a couple of pics from
that. It's been going for 40 years and was originally to celebrate
West Indian culture in London. It has a great atmosphere with a lot of
really loud reggae music and dancers etc. There's also a lot of
Carribean food to be bought and Hol and I both had a fresh coconut to
drink from. Twas lovely.

We're off to Munich for Oktoberfest in a couple of weeks which should
be a lot of fun. I've seen plenty of pics of past Fests and am looking
forward to my first one. I'm also thinking about heading to Prague for
a few days whilst Hol's back in Perth. It's about time I get to see
somewhere other than London.

I'm currently watching a Midnight Oil DVD that I bought whilst back
home which is really great. It is of two concerts they did from the
early - mid 80s, including the famous 'Oils on the Water' gig
celebrating JJJ's 10th birthday in 1985. They were a wonderful band
even though Hol doesn't really see their brilliance.

On Thursday night I went to the filming of the 2004 BBC3 Slam Poets
Championship final. It was a great experience with some very good
poets (and one really awful one). I'm hoping to make it to more TV
shows although my plan to become one of the stars of The Bill still
hasn't happened yet. I still wait expectantly for a knock at the front
door but for some reason it is yet to come. Maybe they don't have my
current address.

Finally we have had a couple of warm sunny days after an awful August.
It said in the paper that it was the wettest August for 50 years and I
was beginning to think that summer was over before it even began but
yesterday and today have been lovely. It was even so wet one day
during August that they released 1 million tonnes of raw sewerage into
the Thames to stop it flowing up into people's homes. Gross!

Holly took off this morning for a couple of days with her rellies down
south but I couldn't go cos I've gotta work tomorrow. Instead I went
down to the Regent St Festival (which is held in Regent St... of
Monopoly fame) and then popped down to Trafalgar Square. The strangest
part of the RSF is that they bring in strips of lawn to cover the road
and then people sit down on it like it's a park. These poms are very
odd indeed. Anyone would think they were all Willshires.

It was very sad to see my boys miss the finals this year but I think
it may be the spur they need to boost them to even greater heights. At
least Claremont are still hanging in there even if they did get a
belting today from Subi.

Well, that's enough waffling from me. Take care all and don't forget
that Holly can bring back your presents for me (hint hint).

love, peace and respect
davo

PS:

Aunty Chris - It was great to see you on the broadcast of the Western
Derby. I was really excited to point out you, the others we sit with,
and my seat to everyone here. Let me know when the renewal form comes
in so I can pay for next season. Any chance u could give the
membership card and badge to Hol while she's in Perth?

Linda - Great to hear about the new job. It sounds fantastic. Just
goes to show that employers don't have to be mongrels!

Erin & Brad - Have a great wedding. I'm really spewing I'm not gonna
be there. Enjoy the day and don't stress about things. You'll be the
only ones who know if something's gone awry so don't let it bother
you.

No comments: