Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Postcard from London #?

Gday All

I'm not sure of what has happened since I last wrote. Things are much the
same.. still labouring. I checked the temperature guage on the wall of the
house next to where I'm working upon arriving at work at 8am yesterday
morning to find that it was -1 degree. No wonder I was feeling a tad chilly.
Thankfully by 10.30 it had warmed considerably to be 2 degrees and we were
positively sweltering in 4 degree heat by lunchtime. Still, at least it
stops one wanting to fall asleep!!

Went to a dodgy 80s night on Friday night in Stockwell. It started off ok,
and I even got some requests played (Duran Duran, The Cure & The Stone
Roses) but then songs started being played which I was sure weren't from the
80s. By the time Justin Timberlake and Avril Lavigne had perforated my
eardrums I had come to the conclusion that the 80s thing was really just an
elaborate scam to get me to attend. Still, I wasn't complaining when I
finished off the night with a good old fashioned headbang to Smells Like
Teen Spirit. Maybe not an 80s song but brilliant nonetheless.

Had an interview with a teaching agency yesterday and they reckon I should
start picking up a bit of supply (relief) work in the new year. I shall
labour until Christmas, have a break and then get ready to teach again. It's
a somewhat daunting prospect in a foreign country given that I haven't done
it since starting at PMH in May 1995 but I'm sure I'll survive.. or die
trying.

Holly's been working some gnarly hours. She's not due to finish until 10pm
tonight and is working Saturday. Still, she has tomorrow off which is a
consolation.

Sight seeing here hasn't really been on the agenda yet but will hopefully
start soon. We have been meaning to go to Madame Tusards (pronounced
Two-Swords if you're me... Too-Sar if you're Holly or French) but haven't
got there yet. I went to see the Museum of Gardening History (quite boring)
and the Imperial War Museum (very good) a couple of weeks ago.

Not much more to tell except I managed to miss the victory parade for the
English rugby team yesterday but have heard much about it. Of more interest
to me was the change in Labor leadership back home. I would have preferred
Kim but Mark does seem such a nice chap. And he has such a colourful way of
making his point known. I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall at his first
meeting with George Bush Jnr.

Love, peace and respect
Davo

ps. If you would prefer not to receive any further emails from me then just
let me know.

No comments: